The Stunning Main Port of Portland (Maine)
Portland is the largest city in Maine and is the county seat of Cumberland County.
Your visit to Portland and the English countryside of County Dorset will be rich in scenic beauty and centuries-old history. Visit the ancient village of Cerne Abbas and admire its beautiful 14th-century church and 16th-century houses; explore Sherbourne Castle, commissioned by Sir Walter Raleigh in 1594; and marvel at prehistoric Stonehenge, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Sample shore excursions: Historic Corfe Castle; Stonehenge & Salisbury; Stunning Sherborne Castle.
Points of Interest
- The Arts District, centered on Congress Street, is home to the Portland Museum of Art, Portland Stage Company, Maine Historical Society & Museum, Maine College of Art, Children's Museum of Maine, SPACE Gallery, Merrill Auditorium, the Kotzschmar Memorial Organ, and Portland Symphony Orchestra, as well as many smaller art galleries and studios.
- Baxter Boulevard around Back Cove, Deering Oaks Park, the Eastern Promenade, Western Promenade, Lincoln Park and Riverton Park are all historical parks within the city. Other parks and natural spaces include Payson Park, Post Office Park, Baxter Woods, Evergreen Cemetery, Western Cemetery and the Fore River Sanctuary.
- Casco Bay Islands, including the Casco Bay Lines
- Cumberland County Civic Center
- East End Beach
- Exchange Street (the "Old Port" area)
- Hadlock Field, home to the Portland Sea Dogs.
- Longfellow Arboretum